Global pandemic is making us all spend most of our time at home. It is completely on us now how we make use of this time wisely and try to convert our home into a more sustainable and environment friendly living space.
Engaging in certain behavioral changes, such as using renewable sources of energy and volunteering for community-level clean-up campaigns, or altering our consumption habits, are some of the simple ways which are not only easy to do but can certainly result in creating that tiny ripple from your end which can make huge positive impacts for our planet.
Here are 10 simple ways for adopting a more sustainable lifestyle at home:
1.Use energy-efficient lighting that reduces greenhouse gas emissions. Isn’t that a bright idea!
2. Shop wisely! Make use of reusable shopping bags and let’s not bring plastic home.
3. Choose non-toxic chemicals to clean or home and office spaces. Let’s protect our waterways too!
4. Plant trees! Try to grow your own food. Spinach, tomato, mint, okra, lettuce, are some easy options to begin with.
5. Use renewable sources of energy and do not forget to turn off the lights when you leave a room. Little things do matter!
6. Reuse and recycle whatever you can. Conserve resources.
7. Air dry your laundry. Avoid dryers, especially during the summers. Take help of mother nature!
8. Eat local and seasonal produce. Mitigate harmful emissions resulting from transporting imported produce.
9. Avoid disposable straws. Carry your own reusable water bottle. Bring your own cup to the coffee shop.
10. Ditch the car and bike/walk more. Cut your carbon footprint. And don’t forget to wear a reusable and washable mask!
Offices are known to function in a fashion where massive wastage of energy and implementation of unsustainable choices is common. Here’s a 6 way guide to make your office sustainable!
1. Bring in plants suitable for indoor environments. They are known to add an attractive aesthetic and help improve the air quality and people’s health within the office. They can also help reduce the use of Heaters and air conditioners, which consume a lot of energy.
2. Shift your record keeping and documentation to computers rather than buying boxes of paper. Office administrators can create a transition plan to move away from paper and eventually eliminate their use. When consumer practices evolve, markets will understand the shift in demand and move away from those types of industries.
3. Invest in reusable utensils for dining like forks, knives, spoons, bowls, and mugs.
4. Invest in Aerators, this will help in reducing water wastage significantly.
5. Setting up internal recycling centers and compost stations could help work wonders by disseminating awareness.
6. Say bye to plastic freebies, and make eco-friendly freebies the new “in” thing. For example, giving away seed paper, reusable bags, and face masks would be appreciated not only by your customers and employees but also by the environment!
The climate situation is very delicate, with this decade promising to be the start of impending catastrophes if we do not start implementing changes. We hope these easy and simple ideas inspire you to adopt a sustainable lifestyle at your home and workplace.
And always remember — We do not inherit our environment and planet, we borrow it from our future generations!