20 ways to help save the planet
By: Komma Ramesh Babu
Our planet will never be the same. The 51st Earth Day is a stark reminder of how drastically our environment changed over the years. It’s also a reminder for us to be thankful and embrace our environment by taking further steps to protect its integrity!
Now comes the question: “What can I do? How much time in 24 hours are there to think about this? What can I do alone?”, said 7.5 Billion people.
It is confusing to see how everyone actively contributes to the pollution; why not the solutions for it? I know for a fact that everyone has some reason or a necessity to contribute. We don’t mine coal, cut trees, or rig oil living in the cities. But we must take responsibility and time to bring about small changes in our lifestyle, or we can’t compete with climate change.
Start by changing your attitudes towards helping our planet.
Change the way you eat:
- The fewer animal products we consume, the more sustainable our diet.
- Cut down on meat eventually over a year by being more conscious.
- Becoming a vegetarian is the next step in progress to eliminating meat.
- Going vegan is the most sustainable way we must eat.
- An estimated 1.3 billion tons — about 30 percent — of the world’s food goes to waste. Wasting a pound of lettuce is kind of a shame. Wasting a pound of beef is a tragedy in comparison because it took hundreds of times more resources to grow it. Act more responsible and conscious in finishing what you have served.
- Don’t overbuy, don’t overcook, and eat what’s leftover as it’s kind of sensible! Eat and buy what you need because that will indicate to the producers how much is required then overproducing. People drive the markets and, if we overbuy to throw it in a trash can, we are wasting a lot of energy to make trash!
- Eat more local food that is healthy and sustainable. Packaged and processed food accounts for 5-8% of carbon emissions annually.
Change the way you buy
- Cut down on plastics completely, as millions of them end up in the oceans. Use the alternatives like the cloth bags and reuse these cloth bags as well wherever you go shopping.
- Cut down on packaged materials and plastic-wrapped products. If we fail to dispose of them properly, we are adding more pollutants to where we live.
- Buy more biodegradable products as an eco-friendly alternative wherever possible. Many companies have been working on such products, and encouraging more usage of them is essential.
- Purchase reusable products and utilize them as much as we can. Any opportunity to reuse products and even leftovers would reduce the impact.
- Don’t overbuy products and leave them unused. Be more conscious of the number of products and services you and your family are using to act sustainably.
Change the way you dress
- Cut down on the jeans. On average, 7600 liters of water is used to make a single pair of jeans.
- Upcycling clothes and giving away your used clothes for the poor is one of the increasing sustainable ways to reduce the impact on the environment.
- Buying light wear and light color clothes can be a more conscious option. The amount of water used for the dying process and the wastage causes a great impact on the freshwater sources and the aquatic life underneath.
Change the way you travel
- On average we emit132 g CO2/km using a diesel vehicle and produce 120 g CO2/km using petrol vehicles. Consciously choosing the mode of transport and how many to transport at once with would make a great difference.
- Shifting to electric vehicles soon would be the most sustainable alternative.
- Reducing the transport of goods and services as much as we can wisely cut down 10-15% of the carbon emissions.
Changing the way you grow
- Growing plants using hydroponics should be encouraged and scaled up.
- Growing the greens at our homes would be healthy and cut down on emissions released while transporting and growing.
- Growing crops in rotation bases and diversity dividing the land would be the most sustainable way.
You forced our climate to change because of your actions and choices. So, don’t get offended when the planet is asking you to make simple changes in your life!